People say when you have a toddler, you should always keep a watchful eye on him. What they don’t tell you is that the toddler is also keeping a watchful eye on you, and perhaps doing a more diligent job than the mummy herself.
So it does come as somewhat of a surprise when Ian, who is in the prime of his boundary age, starts telling me off for the minutest things:
1 妈妈, 喝水 (mama, drink water) when my glass at the table is left untouched during meals;
2 妈妈,jas daar (mama, jacket there) and gesturing furiously at the coat hanger in the hall way should I carelessly and 'accidentally' drape my jacket over the dining bench;
3 妈妈, sssh, Mila en Noa slappen (Mila and Noa are sleeping) if I raise my voice when talking to Wouter;
4 妈妈,niet gooien (Mama, no throwing)when I throw a pack of wet wipes on the bed in frustration;
5 妈妈,够了, 够了!(Mama, enough, enough) if he wants me to stop and I am not heeding his advice.
It's all very endearing for now but I am not looking forward to the day when he spots me rolling my eyes and detects the white lies we concoct when we say the potato chips are not suited for little children, among the other bullshit we spout.
And when that happens, I suppose that's when it's officially legitimate for me to start telling Ian, "少管闲事!" (Mind your own business!)
No comments:
Post a Comment